The Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST) is a government-owned and operated corporation responsible for providing postal services in Nigeria. Over the years, many alternatives have emerged in respect to providing similar services but tends to be more expensive. Most people prefer to use the services that are rendered by the newer alternatives since the NIPOST is seen as not being reliable. Well NIPOST do offer reliable services but one will have to pay for such services (rental PO Box, EMS, etc) either monthly or annually.
In this article, i want to show you guys how to obtain a rental PO Box from the Nigerian Postal Service. The procedures involved is very easy and stress free as one can now apply online and then go to the selected post office to pick the card after one week and the box key after a specified period of time. Below is a step and step pictorial guide on how to obtain a rental (PO Box) from the Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST);
How to Apply for and Get a PO Box from Nigerian Postal Service
- To get started, visit NIPOST PO Box application page by clicking here.
- Once on the page opens, locate and click on ‘Apply for Letter Box‘.
- Click on Apply for Post Letter Box from Post Letter Box.
- Type the name of your city/town in the box provided to get the list of Post office(s) in that area.
- From the list of post office(s) that appears, select the one most nearest to you or any one you will prefer by clicking on it.
- Next click on ‘Please Select a Box Type‘.
- From the drop down options, select ‘Private Letter Box‘ and patiently wait while it loads.
- After the loading is completed, click on ‘Check Availability‘ to check if there are any vacant box for rent in the selected post office.
- If there are any available box for rent, it will be displayed in the pop up dialog that will appear just as i have shown in the image below. Click on the ‘Yes‘ button to confirm that you will want to rent the available box.
- After clicking on the ‘Yes‘ button as illustrated above, you will be provided with a form to enter your details. Accurately fill in the required details and then click on ‘Submit Your Details‘.
- Once you have clicked the ‘Submit Your Details‘ button, a pop up will appear. Click on ‘Yes‘ to confirm that you will want to submit your application.
- On the payment information page, click on ‘Print Acknowledgement Slip‘.
- Next click on ‘Print’ on the print page. Take the Acknowledgement Slip to NIPOST for payment. The acknowledgement printout is valid for 5 working days. If payment is not made within that period, it will expire.
- Once the payment is made, you can check your application status online by entering the appropriate Reference Number or Payment Validation Number at the NIPOST website. Click here to go directly to the NIPOST Application Status checker.
If your application is successful, you will have to go to the selected post office to pick the card after one week and the box key after a specified period of time.
As a Nigerian, having a PO Box obtained from the Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST) is basically the only cheapest way to be sure that your mails get delivered to you. If you are a Nigerian and know other cheaper options, please do share via the comment box below.