A friend of mine got an Apple laptop which as we all know is powered by macOS. Today he called to ask me to tell him how he could copy and paste on the laptop since it appears some feature were totally different from that of a Microsoft Windows OS which he had.
After putting him through on how he can copy and paste on his new macOS powered laptop, i decided to drop it here since there might still be people who don’t know how to. Although it may look different, many of macOS’s functions are similar to that of Microsoft Windows 10 OS.
How to Copy and Paste on Mac Using Keyboard Shortcut
Just as there are keyboard shortcuts on Microsoft OS, so are there keyboard shortcuts on the macOS. It is possible to copy and paste text, media, and files on a macOS powered computer using some keys on its keyboard. To do this,
- Select the content you want to copy and then press Command + C on the keyboard to copy the content.
- Go to the destination where you want to paste the content copied earlier and simultaneously press the Command + V keys on the keyboard to paste it.
In a Windows OS, when you use Ctrl + C keyboard shortcut to copy a text, all the styles and attributes of the text are automatically copied and it appears just like the original content when pasted at a destination using Ctrl + V. To avoid this, the text is pasted in notepad to clear the formatting before it is copied again and then pasted in the destination.
On a macOS, the stress of having to paste the texts in a program like notepad can be avoided by dimply using Command + Shift + V on the keyboard. This does not only clear the formatting of originating text but makes it match the destination’s style.
How to Copy ad Paste on Mac Using Mouse
This procedure is the same with that on a Windows OS. All you need to do is;
- Use the mouse to select or highlight the content.
- Right click on the selected or highlighted content to open he context menu.
- Locate and click on the ‘Copy‘ option to copy the content.
- Move to the destination where you wish to paste the content and right click on your mouse.
- Locate and click on the ‘Paste‘ option to paste the content