As you already know, creating a Gmail account means you are also creating a Google account which can equally be used to access any of the Google services. Does this mean that if you delete the Gmail account, you automatically delete the Google account?
No! The good news is that you can decide to delete your Gmail account and still have access to your Google account. It is important to note that when you delete your Gmail account, you automatically lose access to your inbox, and all the email you’ve sent and received, and that email address becomes disabled and deleted in two business days.
Once you delete your Gmail account, you’ll still be able to log into your Google account but this time using an alternative email address. It is therefore my advice that before getting started, you vast Google Takeout to safely download all the data associated with your Gmail and Google accounts. After this, you can go ahead and follow the steps below to learn how to delete your Gmail account and still have access to your Google account.
How to Delete Gmail Account Without Deleting Google Account
- Login to your Gmail account.
- Locate and click on the Menu icon at the top right corner, and then click ‘Account’.
- On the Google account management page, locate and click on ‘Data and Personalization’ in the sidebar.
- Scroll down and click ‘Delete a Service or Your Account’. If you haven’t already downloaded your data a I have mentioned earlier by visiting Google Takeout, then you should first click ‘Download Your Data’ to download a copy of all your Google data as you are about to permanently delete everything.
- Next click on ‘Delete a Service’ on the ‘Delete a Service or Your Account‘ page.
- Sign in with your password and click ‘Next’.
- On the ‘Delete a Google Service’ age, locate and click on the recycle bin icon next to the Gmail label.
- Next, enter an email address that will serve as a new backup and login option for your Google account. A non-Gmail account is required. After entering the email address, click on ‘Send Verification Email’.
- In the popup, click on ‘Got it’.
- Go to the inbox of the mail address you entered above and check for a mail from Google with the title ‘Gmail Deletion Confirmation’
- Open the mail and click on the verification link
- After clicking the verification link, you will see a final confirmation screen for deleting your Gmail account. Click the box to confirm you want to permanently delete the account, and then click ‘Delete Gmail’
- On the next screen, click ‘Done‘ to complete the deletion process.
With that done, you won’t be able to gain access into your Gmail account anymore but you can access your Google account using the alternate email address you provided.