The passwords used to login into the different web pages we have registered to are like keys to the several doors in our homes. Once you lock the room in this case log out, you wont be allowed in again unless you have the key (password) to the door. If in any case you have lost the key or forgotten it somewhere, the only way you can get access to the room is to go back to wherever you misplaced it and get it back. Assuming you are always fond of misplacing your keys and maybe aren’t used to keeping it safe, you can just decide to give your neighbor a spare so that when ever you happen to forget yours, you can always go to your neighbor’s place to get the spare and have access to the house.
Password acts just like the keys being that without them you wont be given access to your profile page in a website. We are most times occupied with several things that we tend to constantly forget our passwords. Retrieving or creating new passwords can somehow be very frustrating at times and Facebook knowing how strenuous this can get has put up a feature which allows users have access to their account even when they have forgotten their password. Just like the instance I gave above where you give your neighbor a spare key to your home for easy access whenever you tend to forget or misplace yours, Facebook created a feature which allows you choose friends to contact if you ever need help getting into your Facebook account when locked out.
This feature is awesome and I think everyone should have this in place in case they ever get locked out of their account for any reason. To choose friends to contact if you get locked out of your account, follow the simple steps below;
- Log into your Facebook account and and click on the little arrow down icon just as illustrated using the image below.
- Once the arrow down icon is clicked, locate and click on Settings in the drop down menu.
- Next locate and click on Security and Login.
- Scroll down to the option that reads “Choose 3 to 5 friends to contact if you are locked out” which is found under the title Setting up extra security and click on it.
- Click on Choose Friends if you have not already done this before.
- A new pop-up page will appear on which you are expected to go through the information provided as regards choosing a trusted contact. Click on Choose Trusted Contacts once done going through the information.
- On the pop-up page, enter the names of the trusted friends you wish to contact whenever you are locked out of your Facebook account and then click on Confirm. You are allowed to choose between 3 to 5 good friends that you can contact easily without stress via phone.
- If this is done successfully, you will notice a new text appearing just below the Choose 3 to 5 friends to contact if you are locked out informing you that the feature is on.
- It is possible to remove these friends if you so wish by clicking on the Remove All link just as indicated in the image below.
Once this is done and you ever get locked out of your account, Facebook will give each of the friends you have chosen a special piece of a security code. You will need to contact those friends for each piece of the code to get back into your account. Don’t worry about your friends accessing your account because only you can login with the code – your friends can’t.
What do you think about this new feature? Hope it helps someday.